Bria had a seriously cool night last night. If you’ve seen my Facebook, you’ll know what I’m talking about. It was exciting but not quite as exciting as my afternoon.

So, we drew the short straw this year. Our elementary school has the latest start. Our school system has one of the largest private fleet of school buses in the country and they are still stacked three to a seat. Good times y’all. There is so much construction going on at the high school, even seniors are taking the bus. I’m working car pools and taxi services from 3-9 p.m. everyday like it’s a full time job. I am about two seconds away from putting the uber app on the big girls’ phones. Complicating matters even more, that late start means Bria and Jack don’t get off the bus until almost 4 dang thirty. 

Here’s what went down. After a morning of pushing and prodding, I finally folded and cancelled Jack’s before school speech appointment. I got everyone to the bus and then prepared for their return. It was busy day for some one of us. 

The haole dog opted for the summer recovery program while I folded mountains of laundry. 

I decided to leave my phone on the charger and head to the bus stop a little early just in case. Silly me. It was the first day of school after all. I stood there, rocking back and forth. There was lots of nervous anticipation not because I was worried about the first day of school. It was because Bria needed to get to a soccer field at 4:50. She didn’t have on her soccer gear, I had only filled her water bottle and it was now 4:40 in the afternoon. My blood pressure was slightly elevated. Any other day, no big deal but I knew there was a special guest coming to her practice that she wouldn’t want to miss. 

Finally we saw the big yellow hound topping the hill. Bria gets off with her face contorted. Jack wasn’t on the bus. The new bus driver asked if he was in kindergarten. “No. He has special needs. He’s in the third grade.” She told Bria she needed to get back on the bus to look for him. I told the bus driver that everyone knows Jack and every child on the bus was telling her he wasn’t there. She just looked at me like I was crazy. We ran home to get to a phone. 

By the time I got to my house the school was calling with a “We aren’t really sure what happened but Jack missed the bus could you please come get him,” message. I called the school. Again, they said he’s safe but we aren’t sure what happened. It was first day chaos.

Bria and I ran for the car. She was pulling on shin guards and cleats while I drove like a bat out of hell through the neighborhood. I’m sure there will be a new neighborhood message about safe driving coming out shortly. Whatever. We got to the school, ran into the office. “Where’s Jack?” You’d think he’d be sitting there. Nope. He was with his teacher…in his classroom…on the other side of the school. They called her again to bring him down. Finally, we see him, waltzing up the hall without a care in the world.

I wanted to be really, really angry with his new teacher. She can’t know what it’s like to have a child that can’t really take care of himself just be missing. She looked like she’s been through the ringer…or me after a weekend soccer tournament with a band competition and cross country meet thrown in for good measure. She was slumped, trying to smile for Jack but clearly braced for what I might throw at her. I just told him to hurry that we were late, thanked her and went on my hurried way.

Bria was supposed to report at 4:50 and start at 5:00. We pulled in at 5:03 by the skin of our teeth. Her coaches were thankfully understanding. I made it to get Hanan. Arleigh caught her carpool home. By 7 p.m. we were all enjoying dinner. Everyone had reports of great days. Thankfully, I think it’s going to be a great year. Hopefully Jack will make it to the bus today.